Monday, February 23, 2009

Week three in training

Well, just put week 3 of the 16 week marathon training behind me. It felt easy enough. I did 6k on Monday, 8k on Tuesday, nothing on Wednesday (I'll talk about it further i the blog), on Thursday, we trained at the track, inside, learned to do 800 repeats. Boy, I sure slept well that night. I took Friday off as I was feeling a little tight in my left IT band and did 16k on Saturday with Team in Training. I had a feeling it would take long but I didn't expect to run/walk with another girl for 2 hours and 16 minutes!

We started running together because we were the only 2 slower runners, the others were way ahead of us. We started out 4 but then one of the girls IT band started acting up and they decided to head home. So that left me runing with a very nice lady who has been running for 5 weeks. (OK, my mind goes, 5 weeks, she won't make it for 16k (10 miles) I'd better stick with her or she'll give up). Well, we stuck together, not talking much but just making sure I didn't get too far ahead and staying strong. I was so happy to see our coach running to meet us at mile 8, he always has a nice word and such positive energy. I got to pick up the pace a little, it was freezing!

I have always been a solitary runner. I have been running with my dogs for a while but they don't really count as "runnng buddies". I'm starting to like to run with people. I know it sounds strange but running has been my way of dealing with the harder sides of my life. Now, running is about helping others dealing with the harder sides of their lives. And I just can't think of a more difficult thing to deal with as cancer.

I'm happy about my training this week for another reason. We had to let go of some fine people where I work, 6 to be exact. That's a lot considering we are a company of 72 people. It was heartwrenching. People were crying, everyone was paranoid, scared to death to hear their superior calling them. It was all done in a half hour. It will take weeks for everyone to start having fun at work again. I'm happy I kept my job but sad about my friends losing theirs.

I'm writing this from home on Monday as I have a fever. I'm wondering if it's caused by the cold on Saturday, the flu, or just plain too many emotions. If it doesn't let up by tomorrow morning, I'll go see the doctor. Wouldn't want to miss too much training.

Love and hope

No comments: